Re: __get() not reentrant?

Jochem Maas wrote:

> Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
>> Maybe I'm using "reentrant" incorrectly, but here is what I mean...
>>
>> class Test  {
>>    function __get($nm)  {
>>       if ($nm == 'x')
>>          return $this->func();
>>       elseif ($nm == 'y')
>>          return 'y';
>>       elseif ($nm == 'xx')
>>          return 'x';
>>    }
>>    function func()   {
>>       return $this->xx;
>>    }
>> }
>> $t = new Test();
>> print $t->y . "\n";
>> print $t->xx . "\n";
>> print $t->x . "\n";
>> print $t->func() . "\n";
>>
>> I would expect the following code to output:
>>
>> But instead, it outputs:

>> Is this a bug?  This limitation is not documented (maybe it should be?).
>
> its not a bug, I believe its documented somewhere how this works.
> bottom line __get() does not work from 'inside' the class/object,
> so  do something like instead:
>
>       function func()   {
>         return $this->__get('xx');
>       }
>
> which may not please the soul, but does work ;-)

Hehe, my soul is hard to please...=P

Actually, __get() does work from inside the class.  In the sample code I
posted, func() does indeed return 'x' when called from main.  It does not
work when called from within a call to __get().  In other words,
$this->attribute does not work if __get() appears anywhere in the call
stack.

Its just a small annoyance.  I use $this->attribute everywhere in the class,
but I have to remember to use $this->__get(attribute) in methods that can
be called from __get().

-- C