Re: How to confirm subscriptions by e-mail on a PHP site ?

You can either email them an URL containing an activation code, which
would have them activate in their browser.

If you don't understand the terms .forwared, or MTA, you should
probably either learn more about them or skip to the third paragraph.
If you want them to activate using their email client, the question
isn't quite(although almost) so simple. You can either use the
.forward mechanism, to parse the response mail, and deal with it
accordingly(assuming you're using a .forward capable MTA).

Alternatively you can have them reply to an account, and set up a cron
job(assuming you're on unix) to have PHP check the account using it's
imap functions every minute. The first way would be preferable.