Re: How to confirm subscriptions by e-mail on a PHP site ?

On Friday 20 May 2005 09:21, Mário Gamito typed:
> Hi,
>
> I'm making this middle-range site (i. e., not so little, bit not so big,
> either), and i want users that subscribe to my site to have their
> confirmation made by email.
>
> Does anyone sugests a simple, yet effective way to do this ?

When the user subs, generate a token in a DB table.

Send the token to the user via email with a URL to click.  Use
mime/alternative if you want to send html and plain text so their client can
choose the rendering method.

If you get the click where the token matches (and perhaps first name or
similar), they've confirmed their desire to subscribe.  Do what you need to
do with the confirmation and remove the token from the table.  Record a
history of IP etc to show that they DID indeed confirm their sub.  Gives you
proof that they asked for it if they contend it's spam.

--
My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely.