PHP-GTK, or something else, for desktop app development?

Hi All,

I'd like to do some desktop app development and I'm looking for others'
thoughts on whether PHP-GTK is a suitable environment in which to work?

Years ago I developed desktop apps in Access / VB6, but it's been long
enough now, and VB in particular has changed so much in the intervening
time, that I'd have to relearn these anyway, so it seems like a good time to
either consolidate my PHP coding or to pick up some other language. Not to
mention that Access is entirely despicable for any purpose, desktop app
development included [1].

I'm wondering if PHP-GTK is mature / featured enough to handle a relatively
complex desktop app project, using features like table grids for displaying
/ editing data stored in a MySQL backend and so on.

My other alternative is to bite the bullet and learn something like Java,
though I assume my learning curve would be steeper and more time-consuming.
I pick Java because a) Everyone Seems To Love Java<tm>, and b) there appear
to be at least a couple of decent free Java IDEs available in NetBeans and
Eclipse (and maybe others that I don't know about).

In essence, I'm looking for a desktop app development environment that is
featured, connects well to MySQL, and is relatively painless to learn. Java
may not suit the last of those criteria, but I don't know enough about it at
this point to be scared of it if it is painful to learn.

Anyone have any thoughts to share about PHP-GTK and / or other desktop app
development environments that might be more suitable? Freeness of
development tools is a big plus to me in this, if that needs to be
explicitly said.

Much warmth,

Murray

[1] Just my opinion. I know I'd get a healthy argument from several
developers that I know.