Re: Seeking decent domain registrar

On Fri, May 13, 2005 1:25 am, Marcus Bointon said:
> They did "change the rules" starting in November 2000, with RFCs
> (3454, 3490, 3491, 3492) finalised in 2003. See http://
> www.verisign.com/products-services/naming-and-directory-services/
> naming-services/internationalized-domain-names/index.html This page
> may be of interest too: http://www.imc.org/idna/. Also, have you
> tried going to www.café.com? It works just fine for me (if you're
> using an antique browser like IE6 it may not work, though verisign
> have a free plugin to enable it). http://www.1stdomain.net/ does
> international registrations (though does not handle .co.uk domains).
>  From a PHP point of view, http://pear.php.net/package/Net_IDNA/
> what's needed.

Cool!

I stand corrected.

For the record, no I haven't tried to go to that URL, because I don't even
know how to type that symbol.

If I did know how to type that non-ASCII symbol, I don't quite understand
which of the umpteen "extended" character sets is going to get used by all
the DNS machines, so I'd be kind of surprised if it worked, but, hey, if
it all works and everybody is happy, it's all good.

I feel sorry for anybody who has such a domain name, however, as it's
going to be a real bear to get it listed/indexed correctly by search
engines, I would guess.  Maybe not.  Maybe all the search engines are all
ready for the non-ASCII domain names.  [shrug]

I certainly understand that the DNS space is now much bigger, and much
nicer for non-English (or, perhaps more accurately,
non-ASCII/Roman-alphabet) websites who can now get their domain name in
their own native language.  And I think that's really great.

But it's sure gonna make it hard for a lot of users to figure out how to
get there...

I can sorta stumble my way through reading some simple Spanish, French,
and Russian websites, but that don't mean I got any idea how to make those
characters come out of my keyboard.

Babelfish is a real boon on the sites I can't read, of course. :-)

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm