protect your CSS files, and possibly other extenstions as well...

Sorry Richard if you received this twice.

Okay let me get this straight:

You protect your includes by making sure that they have a protected
string defined?

You pass JS and CSS through PHP, and output a 404 unless they've got a
HTTP_REFERER variable set to whatever you want it to be?

I guess it may have some merit, but personally it seems like you're
going from Hong Kong to Shanghi through Paris.

Your first suggestion (protecting php includes) has merit if you're
designing a package that people are going to download, and you have
minimal control over how they install it. If you're trying to stop
people from reading your PHP code however you're misguided if you
think there is any solid method other than placing it outside your
webtree.

The Browser needs access to your .js files and .css files. It's not
going to take long to figure out that the server checks the
HTTP_REFERER, and once you've done that, all you have to do is
something put something like the following into the address bar:

javascript:void(document.write("<a
href='http://www.example.com/stylesheet.css'>ss</a>"))

Right-click and "Save Link As"(Firefox), or "Save Target As"(MSIE),
and they get a dialog box asking them where they want to save your
css/js file to.

At least with your first suggestion(protecting php scripts) you
actually get to Shanghi. With your second one, you go from Hong Kong,
to Paris, and back to Hong Kong.

And before you ask, no I'm not Chineese.