imap_open with variable fails

Hi,

I'm using imap_open and the script works fine on my server with 4.3.11.  Now
as user with 4.3.10 reported that the script does not work. He finally got
it working by replacing my variable-names in the imap_open-command with
strings containing exactly the same data (except for the leading slash
before the { which I was using together with variables).

The statement is
@imap_open("\{$host}INBOX",$user,$pwd,OP_HALFOPEN);
and host is "80.243.163.14/pop3".
I know that /notls can also be appended, but as I said: it works fine when
entering these directly into the command, just when using the
string-parameter it fails.

The error is: "imap_open(): Couldn't open stream"

I've spent quite some time now googling around, searching various forums
etc., but could not find a solution to this. Would appreciate your help very
much!

Thanks

Michael