Re: Fastest templating mechanism

> Hi everyone,
>
> Thanks for your replies. I Think I haven't been very clear about what I
> really need. First of all, I don't need an existing templating system,
> because I am working on my own templating system.
> And regarding Satyam's post. This looks a lot like what I'm developing
> right now, but also not my issue =)
>
> What I really need is a fast lookup mechanism, to 'translate' statements.
>
> For example:
>
> setOutputType('xhtml');
> echo(translate('authorstart'));
>
> the function translate opens xhtml.data, which contains:
>
> authorstart : <span class="author">
> authorend : </span>

So, is you're entire website template going to just look like those
keywords???  If you ask me that seems kinda pointless and if anything,
just extra overhead for your app

> so, the translate function looks 'authorstart' up and returns '<span
> class="author">'
>
> or if you had specified 'wml' as the outputtype, the file could like like:
>
> authorstart : <b>
> authorend :  </b>
>
> and the function would return '<b>'
>
> This is all no problem, except that these lists can be pretty big. And I
> wouldn't like to load them all into the memory, or have to loop through
> the file every time translate is called.
>
> So I need a very fast mechanism to overcome this problem.

If you're deadset on doing this, I would go with a database and
str_replace().  str_replace() is always better than a regex solution
because it doesn't incur the overhead of the regex engine.  Only use
regex when you need a complex solution.

--
jamwil.com