Re: How to declare Vars in PHP?

OK, thanks everyone.

(BTW -I actually meant to say 'var $varName;' in PHP and 'var varName;' in
JavaScript -doh!)

Anyway, my question has been thoroughly answered, and I completely
understand now.

I did try the "var $varName;" outside a class, just to see what happened,
and found out it does indeed throw a parse error, so I'll just use a comment
as Mr. Rasmus suggested. I wonder why "Beginning PHP 5 and MySQL from Novice
to Professional by W. Jason Gilmore" says to declare them? I guess he just
meant by assigning a value like: $varName = Null or something. I just have
to get used to this new way of "declaring" -lol.

And thanks especially Ryan. That is a very informational answer, and gives
me a much deeper insight into why PHP doesn't allow an actual definition,
than any other resource/explanation I have ever seen! Thank you VERY much
for taking the time to write that, I am the kind of person who wants to
completely understand a subject (not just "how", but, "why" as well), and
now I completely understand this particular part of PHP.

-Jon