Re: How to declare Vars in PHP?

"Jon M." <dsak8330225@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:20050505014112.37150.qmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I know it's not necessary, but I still want to know how.
>

> I know in JavaScript, that you declare vars like so:
>
> var = variableName;
>
> So I'm assuming that in PHP you do it like this:
>
> var = $variableName;
>
> But there doesn't seem to be a single shred of documentation on PHP.net
> (or in ANY book) that covers this. All they say is that it's good
> practice, but not necessary. Then they always skip telling you how.
>
> I always like to declare vars since it helps me keep track of the vars I
> will be using, and I just like to do things right.
>
> So am I right about how you do it? "Yes", "No", example please??
>

> -Jon

It is good practice to define your variables (i.e., set them to 0, or empty,
etc) at the beginning of a script, for security and reliability reasons.

With PHP however, there technically is no definition of variables as in
other languages such as Java or BASIC. To define a variable in PHP simply
requires a $variableName = ''; or $variableName = 0; or $variableName =
empty; etc etc. A variable is defined as soon as a value is set for it,
therefore to define a variable, simply give it a value.