php/pear question

I'm trying to get pear up and running, and I can't get it to work.

I've tried it on a couple of different systems:

fedora c2 and c3 with php 4.3.10

I can run pear from the shell, install new modules (pager,
html_quickform,...) but when ever I try using any pear code in a php script
with the appropriate includes/require (require_once 'DB.php';) nothing in
the php block of the script gets executed.  No error is thrown, and there is
nothing in any of the server log files to indicate what the problem might
be.

I suspect that the include path is the problem.  But even with setting the
include path via the php script making the pear reference, still no joy.

Has anyone ever run into this?
Any suggestions for an alternative to pear if it continues to be
problematic?

I've looked into phplib, but it seems dated and I've read where it looks
like there is or was plans to merge phplib into pear.

Thanks in advance,

Kelly