Re: Re: beginner volunteer

Jason Barnett wrote:
Malcolm Mill wrote:

Hi, I've been reading up on php for a while now and would like to get
involved in a small open source LAMP project. I don't have any real
coding experience to speak of but could bring proofreading,
bug-reporting, testing and documentation skills to the project. What
I'd like to get out of working on it is: experience working with a
variety of other individuals over the internet on a common
application; real life knowledge of CVS and the development process;
some experience writing simple code.

If anyone knows of any opportunities like this or would like to
discuss what I could add to one of their own projects please contact
me.

Regards, Malcolm.

Look in any of your favorite PHP classes / scripts. It seems that "TODO" is the most popular word in the Open Source language and there is always something you can add to a project.

there should a language keyword called 'todo', maybe we could ask the devs to add this 'feature' - which if accepted would be put on someones todo list... hmmm, that smells like recursion or something ;-)

you put a smile on my face Jason!

I'm not a code maintainer, but you might consider browsing PEAR packages and just looking to see which projects could use some help. Or maybe you could write to the pear.php.general newsgroup and offer up your services.

Or if you just want to get involved with general PHP stuff then you might consider the php.doc list (or any of the sublists for your language of choice). They can always use more help and it's a great way to learn PHP inside and out.

Last but not least... you can answer questions on this list. The key here is that you focus on answering questions that you already know how to answer. Then you leave the other questions to people that *do* understand that problem.

<note>If you try to answer a problem that you don't understand well at all then you occasionally end up giving out boneheaded answers. And trust me, I've wiped many eggs off of my face because of this list :P </note>

knowing the answer is also no assurance of giving out boneheaded answers, ... I have a permanent tab at the dry-cleaners to prove it ;-)