Mac OS X compilation problem

In the past I've had success compiling PHP4 on OS X. However, now I'm trying to get PHP5 working and not having much luck. I'm getting configure to work, and make goes ok until the final linking stage at which point I get this error:

ld: unknown flag: -export-symbols
make: *** [libs/libphp5.bundle] Error 1

It seems that that flag must be set in a make file somewhere (it's not in my environment), and it's certainly not documented in the OS X ld man pages.

Not sure if it makes any difference, but most of the external modules that PHP uses are built from fink. I need some modules that are not supported in any of the pre-built fink PHP5 packages, and I'm used to compiling it without difficulty on Linux and OpenBSD.

Anyone else run into this or have any idea how I might fix it?

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
Synchromedia Limited: Putting you in the picture