Timetables

Hello,

This is probably more of a db question but...

I am writing an employee database for work. The majority of it is simple enough however I am stuck on the timetabling. It has to be done in PHP as there are 40 plus team leaders whose computers are all old and have IE on them as one similarity. Also any changes I make to the program are repllicated over those machines instantly.

We have ~1500 Employees. There are 4 shifts which overlap.

My idea of doing this was to have a database with each record being a day for a particular employee. Recording ID, Start Time, Finish Time in TimeStamp.

So I could then do a search for the number of employees whose shift start or finished in that particular day. If there is a start and a finish left add up the hours, if only a start do start -> midnight and if only a finish do midnight -> finish.

Is this a sensible way to do it? Or can anyone suggest a better tried and tested way.

Cheers
Richard