Re: I need do paging in php, I use ODBC Access

Richard Lynch wrote:
On Thu, April 21, 2005 12:23 pm, Warren Vail said:

The only approach left that I could come up with is to transfer the
entire sequence set to your application, and count the rows, perhaps
only displaying the rows you want to show.  This is obviously not very
efficient (in fact, with enough rows it may prove impossible because of
memory limitations), but it will produce what appears to be a paged
result.

If this is the best answer your database software will let you come up
with, it's time to switch databases :-)

Fortunately, the databases that don't do "LIMIT" have this nifty thing

I was under the impression that LIMIT was mySQL specific (although its quite likely that their use of the keyword and the ubiqitous nature of mySQL that other vendors have also adopted it.

anyway, many other DBs do implement an alternative in the form of FIRST, SKIP
keywords which effectively does the same as the LIMIT clause. (AFAICR
FIRST/SKIP is part of the SQL std)

called "CURSOR" which lets you kind of do the same thing.

At least, all the databases I know of.

Maybe something really stupid and broken like MS Access or something that
doesn't even claim to do SQL like, errrr, FileMaker???

Even there, I'll bet there's some better answer than pulling all the rows
down just to display a tiny fraction of them.