RE: scripting workflow

> First off, do people prefer to have all their code in one
> file? Or multiple separate files? I know functions and
> classes are good to keep in separate files, but i am talking
> about say for example a news system, etc.

For me, this largely depends on project size and the types of
functions/classes I'm making. If it's a huge project, I may make a few files
with the functions/classes that are similar so I only have to include the
fewest amount (hopefully one) per function of the script. If the script
itself is small (say, under 500 lines) I'll probably just write it all in
one file if the script itself has one main purpose. But really, this will
depend from project to project.

> Next off, how about when actually assembling the files? Do
> you produce all of your html output, then say build all of
> your functions - then say build the logic?

I typically make a "header" and a "footer" file and include those when
necessary. The script itself produces the content and just fills in the
middle between the header and footer.

Other people will likely use templating engines (Smarty being a popular
choice) for larger projects where a good separation of content and design
are needed.

> I had in the past use DW for building php apps, and as an
> exercise to myself I am forcing myself to hand code to learn
> better. But I do however want to increase my productivity.
> If anyone has any pointers on this type of stuff - it would
> be much appreciated!

Personally, I think the most important aspect of productivity is knowing how
to identify and use the right tool for the job. And as such, getting a lot
of exposure to the different tools and options you have available is the
most important factor in knowing what tools are at your disposal.

Other people with stronger opinions of specific tools will likely have a lot
to say about those methods, but I prefer versatility to knowing one or two
tools/utils/apps very well.

Just my $.02.

-M