Re: Critical Thinking, or Several "Why" Questions

GamblerZG wrote:
>> You can ask about a question. You can even try to improve the
>> performance of a function. But at the end of the day unless you can
>> come up with something that will do what the PHP community at large
>> expects *and* it is faster it's not going to happen.
>
> How exactly "PHP community at large" supposed to verbalize its
> expectations, if not through discussion of language features? IMO, by
> posting statements like the one above you suppress (possible) discussions.

That's not at all what I meant.  Perhaps you simply misunderstand what I
have been saying all along?

PHP is a do-ocracy.  You do something to make it better because you have
built a better mousetrap.  The "core" developer team for PHP is very
small, the number of people (like you) asking for new features /
improved performance / bugfixes is extremely large.  So if you can
actually provide code to do what you suggest... well, the dev team
always likes that!

I am not suppressing discussion of PHP, but rather I am being pragmatic.
 You are of course entitled to your own opinion.

>> Trust me, the core PHP dev team wants to improve performance just like
>> you do.
>
> They are human and may miss some possibilities. I do not say that I will
> necessarily point to those possibilities, but still it is possible.
> Moreover, developers might not use the language the way I do.

And rolling your own is a solution to this problem.

>> It's just that they also have to do silly little things like
>> maintain BC. They'll break BC if there's a really, REALLY good reason
>> why, but most of the time the answer is no.
>
> I did not ask developers to break BC. In fact, I did not ask developers
> to do anything at all.

Super, then we're all happy.

--
Teach a man to fish...