PHP inside .htacess protected file

I have this dilemma...I know this is more of an apache question than a PHP questions, but I thought that it's partially related.

We have a webserver that we want to turn on/off access.
We were thinking of using simple HTTP authentication to protect the main webserver directory.

We have Flash movies that talk to PHP scripts inside the webserver directory.

When we have our .htaccess file inside the main webserver directory, Flash can't comunicate with the PHP scripts.

So ideally this is what we want...prevent access to the directory but allow our Flash movies to talk to the PHP scripts in the directory.

How would I go about doing this?
Can I create a subfolder to put the PHP scripts in and put another .htaccess in that folder to override the protection?

Thanks.
--
-James