Re: Best Server Platform

Gerald Artman wrote:
> Interesting comments from all.
>
> It would seem that despite disagreements, OSX clearly can hold its own.
> According to Netcraft, its does serve 4 of the top 50 sites on the
> survey, 11- www.apple.com (which is mixed with Solaris), 12-

I would *hope* that Apple would use their own product if they expect
other companies to use it for their servers as well.  I'm really
wondering what you mean / why they mix with Solaris though...

> www.army.mil, 21- www.mdgcs.com and 46- apple.com (OSX Only). I note
> some do not even use Apache.
>
> Of course, if you do not like the BSD underpinnings, you can always use

Or WinXP's BSD underpinnings?

> Redhat or any of a number of others which I wonder if they have ever
> been tested.
>
> Jerry

FUDSPAM!

You might prefer OSX over other platforms (it sure seems like you do),
but we don't need to be knocking on those other platforms here unless
you show that they deserve it *and* it's related to PHP.

For example I am a Windows user and I can rattle off several
(OS-specific) problems that I've had trying to use PHP on this platform.
 But even I haven't run any sort of regression test lately to
stress-test PHP on Windows.

So please, if you're going to spread FUD then at least have the common
decency to *show some proof* and to *APPLY IT TO PHP!*  Anything not
directly related to PHP is just SPAM on this list.

--
Teach a man to fish...

NEW? | http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
STFA | http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-general&w=2