RE: create multiple jpg thumbnails and use in a page

Here's how I'd go about that -

1) create two pages
  a) the page that is displaying the images
  b) the script that generates the thumbnails

2) 'a' is simple - it just reads the directory and creates the HTML to
image_thumbnail.php?image=image.jpg

3) 'b' is passed 'image.jpg', reads the file, creates the thumbnail (rather
simple and lots of code in the manual and on the net) and outputs the proper
header info and the right data stream.

4) watch your performance drop and your scripts possibly time out

Simple matter of the fact is that image processing is a dog. It consumes a
lot of resources and has little gain for being done on-the-fly in most
situations. And when you think about it - you're taking a very large amount
of input to output the same exact thing - just smaller. While I know it's
very bad HTML practice, if this is a fast site, you might get faster page
loads by just loading the full image with the image tag set with height and
width constraints ;)

If it's not a heavy/fast site, it might not be a problem. But if it's under
any serious load, pending the image sizes, it might be a big hit.

Just my $.02.

-M