create multiple jpg thumbnails and use in a page

Is there a way to create multiple jpg thumbnails from a series of larger
originals and use all of the on-the-fly generated thumbnails in a page
(without saving any of the thumbnails to the filesystem)?

For example, I've got 5 full size jpg's in a directory, and I'd like to
list them on a page in table form as follows

image1.jpg      thumnbnail image    image1 size     datestamp
image2.jpg      thumnbnail image    image2 size     datestamp
image3.jpg      thumnbnail image    image3 size     datestamp
image4.jpg      thumnbnail image    image4 size     datestamp
image5.jpg      thumnbnail image    image5 size     datestamp

>From php.net, I've found plenty of examples of how to create thumbnails
from files and have done a couple successfully.  My objective, however,
is to have a page dynamically create multiple thumbnails from full sized
images.  I don't want to be creating and saving thumbnails to be used
later.

Possible?  If so, then please just a pointer in the right direction.

Thanks, Kevin