Re: RES: Game development approach

Robert Restad wrote:
I suggest you write a 'tick' engine, which i.e. games like Planetarion
use.

This should be written in C or C++, compiled... You can run this using
PHP of course, and run it from command line/shell, but PHP isnt ideal
for this. If you have a decent server and not too much players (i.e.
more than a hundred simultaneous players), then PHP will do. Any more
than this, and I doubt PHP can handle without choking the server.

Hello Robert,

First thanks for your answer and your help. I would like to explore this concept of using the PHP. I mean, I've already coded some small games in C++, and implementing a game loop is kinda easy, since you have the control of all the data being processed. But PHP scripts, as I currently know of, are only run when requested by the client, and the when they finish execution then they're gone. I never tried, but could it be done a game loop in PHP? I mean like a script I would start and it would keep running constantly, checking for new commands in a queue, updating objects status, can it be done or the server would kill it?

Kind regards,
Alex