Re: [semi OT]: Planning projects

I remember reading that UML was fairly complex. Although brief reading up on it, it didn't seem all that hard. I think the next version is supposed to be simpler. I made a decision about 6 months wether I was going to learn UML or design patterns next. I chose design patterns, and really think I made the right choice. I've picked up some UML in the process, but more importantly, I amy planning for change much better.
One of the mantras I've picked up is to figure out what changes in the program and separate it out. How you separate it out is where design patterns come in. I've discovered that design patterns help me plan much better and code much better. After all, it's all about managing change.

A few years ago I read an article about where UML was being used. It was mainly in the big companies. Smaller companies found it slowed them down when they needed to get their product to market quickly. This pretty much worked well during the internet boom since it was mainly a bunch of really good programmers trying to create a product that they would see to the end. In a corporate environment, there is always a mix of talent and there is no guarantee the whole group will be there for the product life cycle. Thus UML is practically a must for a corporate environment so that everything can be documented for the next person to pick up quickly.

If it's just you and maybe a couple of other people. The "old fashioned" way works very well. UML is great, but it will probably slow the process down for the sake of good documentation. If you can, go to your nearest paint store and pickup a can or two of chalkboard paint and make an entire wall (or two) of your apartment, house or work, a chalkboard. Wouldn't a 30ft x 8ft chalkboard be nice for diagrams?
For a really wicked thinking environment, get a few black lights, turn off the lights, crank the music and work in the dark. The chalk glows in black light, so you'll be able to see what you are doing.