RE: [semi OT]: Planning projects

[snip]
So my question has to do with planning a project (not necessarily a
website in general, but a programming project specifically). I've got
Visio 2003 and a pad of paper with a pencil. I'm pretty much willing to
try out different methods although I prefer a visual approach.
[/snip]

+1 for pencil & paper or whiteboard. And in the words of Obi Jay, "Use
the flowchart Chris"

I know that there is lots of excitement about UML, especially in light
of PHP5's better implementation of OOP, but 25+ years of experience
tells me that basic flowcharting, before UML (which is not as complex as
some would like to make it), will save you several headaches down the
road.

Keep in mind that flowcharts are "living" docs....if you need to make a
change to the code somewhere down the line you can (and should) change
the flowchart to reflect it.

Another good thing about a flowchart is its ability to describe the big
picture as well as the most intricate detail.