newbie:changing variable to type resource

Hi All,

I am new to PHP, stuck with a problem and need your help.

I would like to change a variable to type resource.
I searched in php.net and in google but did not find anything helpful.

Now , why I would like to do that...

I am writing a socket application which will accept connection from
browser,receive data and write the data sent by browser into another
open socket.Receive data from the open socket and write it back to the
browser.

When there are more than one client(browser) connecting to my program
,I am saving the connection information (socket ID)for browser
connections in a plain text file.

I intend to retrive the socket ID information and do a
socket_write(..) with socket ID as the first parameter, but I am
getting an error that I cant convert any type to a resource type. Is
there any workaround ??

Is it going to help me if I use session information ?

I am not using apache.

I may be wrongly designing the program.

Would appreciate all your suggestion and help.

Thanks,
-Saswat