XHTML and dynamic javascripts

I am working to convert my website to XHTML and ran into a compliance
problem with several dynamically created javascripts.  According to the
XHTML specification, embedded javascripts are now supposed to now be
enclosed with <![CDATA[ script goes here ]]>.  The problem is that it's not
supported by IE or firefox and throughs javascript errors.  So the other
option is to use externally linked javascript files.

Now down to the PHP specific question.  Is there a way to generate an
externally linked javascript file?  The javascript functions in question are
created from data sitting in a MySQL data, so I can't hard code the
javascript.

Thanks,

Robbert van Andel