RE: free php live chat with visitor/customer script

-----Original Message-----
From: p80 [mailto:p80@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 1:17 AM
To: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  free php live chat with visitor/customer script

> I was recently visiting a commercial site and suddunly a window chat
> popped up and some assistant asked me if I needed some help. I thought
> this was pretty cool and I was wondering if such a thing existed in php, i > know there are lots of php live chat script out there but I'm not sure if > they allow to monitor visitors on your webpage and launch a window chat to
> the visitor of your choice. does anyone know of such a thing in PHP? I
> think the application on that site I visited was a java applet.

One way to approach this could be that You set a start visiting time in a session, when the user enters the site. If he/she is still online after let´s say 5 minutes, then a Javascript window is popped up. Notice that popup blockers kill more than 50% of all popups (a stat I implemented a couple of months ago on 2 heavily visited sites in Denmark).

The popup window access a script, that for instance could be made with fopen(), fwrite(), fclose(), which opens, reads and write to a txtfile, that has the name of the session_id

On the admin site, where the employee is suppose to see users, You can read all txt files in the dir with opendir() and readdir(). Of course You will need to have a clean up script to get rid of or move ended chat sessions.

I hope this will give You enough ideas to start Your project :-)

Sincerely
Kim Madsen