Re: Semi-OT: Anti-password trading/sharing solutions

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 13:53:32 -0700, Dan Tappin <dan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You really can't prevent the shared password issue unless you billed on a per login basis.

That may be one possible solution (although with my limited knowledge of the industry, I don't know how viable). Charge something along the lines of $.01/login, and bump down the monthly cost by $1. For legit users it will (hopefully) result in a slight cut in fees, while also making it not free to share your account to any sigificant degree.

Also, for a fairly simple method, store all ips used to access an account over a 24 hour period. Any accounts used by over some number of ip addresses get reverse lookups performed, and any accounts used by over two isps get marked. If an account gets marked several times, slap it with a large fine (which you need to mention ahead of time) and terminate access.

http://www.smempire.org