RE: PHP slowness

Gerard wrote:
> Update on the issue:
> I just upgraded to PHP5 in an attempt to get the speed under control, it
> didn't work.
> What I did notice is that even www.debuginc.com/test2.php (which has NO
> code
> in it at ALL, only text) takes 5 seconds to load! Upon closer
> investigation,
> it seems that with both PHP4 and PHP5, any page that ends on .php takes 5
> seconds doing NOTHING before it starts to process and actually load...
> What could delay any given .php page for 5 seconds on both PHP4 and PHP5?
> It
> doesn't seem to make any sense. I already removed unused CGI modules from
> the Apache load process, but still a 5 second delay.
>
> Another interesting note; if you click from page to page fast enough, it
> doesn't take as long to load. For some reason, after the initial 5 second
> startup hic, it loads consequent pages smoothly. If you wait for 10
> seconds
> and then click a link, it loads for 5 seconds again.
>
> I don't get this, especially since it seems to affect both PHP4 and
> PHP5...

That sounds to me like maybe you're out of RAM and doing a hell of a lot
of swapping.

If every URL you surf to forces the OS to hit the hard drive to re-load
the memory page that has PHP in it, ...

I'm no expert on this stuff, but I'd be checking my swap space usage and
RAM usage with 'top' or any other tools available...  I suppose you
probably already did that, but...

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm