RE: PHP slowness

Hi Brent,

> I noticed  you have your error_reporting level set really high (2039),
> which is pretty close to everything. That may be fine on a development
> server, but I wouldn't set it that high on a production server. I'd be
> curious what you log looks like. Perhaps this is causing your slowness,
> perhaps not.

This is obviously not it, I changed the reporting level to nothing and still
no go.

> Also, you seem to use the short open tag style '<?'. Not that it's
> causing your problem, but for compatibility you should probably use the
> long style '<?php'.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind.

Update on the issue:
I just upgraded to PHP5 in an attempt to get the speed under control, it
didn't work.
What I did notice is that even www.debuginc.com/test2.php (which has NO code
in it at ALL, only text) takes 5 seconds to load! Upon closer investigation,
it seems that with both PHP4 and PHP5, any page that ends on .php takes 5
seconds doing NOTHING before it starts to process and actually load...
What could delay any given .php page for 5 seconds on both PHP4 and PHP5? It
doesn't seem to make any sense. I already removed unused CGI modules from
the Apache load process, but still a 5 second delay.

Another interesting note; if you click from page to page fast enough, it
doesn't take as long to load. For some reason, after the initial 5 second
startup hic, it loads consequent pages smoothly. If you wait for 10 seconds
and then click a link, it loads for 5 seconds again.

I don't get this, especially since it seems to affect both PHP4 and PHP5...

- Gerard