hash issues

I am creating a database where I need people to log in using a unique
username and password. I would like to hash the passwords using the one-way
function mhash().  However, when I try to do this, I have some issues that I
cannot figure out.  Here is what I have (I'll include every mention of the
variable in case I am missing something obvious):

The file that displays the sign-up form: The user enters a username and
password into the form, the password is hashed and the hashed value is
stored in the database.
        <input type='password' name='password' max length='50'>
        $pass=bin2hex(mhash(MHASH_SHA1, $password));
        <input type='hidden' name='pass' value='$pass'>

The input is sent to a file that verifies the data and stores it to the
database
        $pass=$_POST['pass'];
        INSERT INTO table (username, password) VALUES ('$logname', '$pass');

Here's my big problem... I created three seperate sample users with three
different passwords (password1, password2, password3).  When I go back to
look at the table info in the database, it shows that all three of the
passwords are exactly the same.  I'm not sure why this is happening.