Re: Fatal error: Maximum execution time

Stanislav Kuhn wrote:
> I've got a processing script which takes long time to finish. The script
> includes several others and is ran from command line(by cron). I've sent
> phpinfo from inside of processing to my email, here is the important part
> max_execution_time => 1800 => 0

So your php.ini has no time limit (0) and your .htaccess file (or some
script settings before you do phpinfo()) is changing it to 1800, which is
30 minutes.

> max_input_time => 120 => 120
> memory_limit => 64M => 64M
>
> I'm setting 1800 inside a script and 0 exec time is by default... anyway I
> have tried to set it to whatever and wherever ;o) Script always terminates
> and that is strange not exactly at same time... it's aprox from 6 to 10
> minutes and not in same place (in any of included script). And error
> message
> always displays 30 seconds... I have tried to grep a source for ini_set as
> well, nothing important anywhere in the code.

Note that time PHP spends waiting for stream input, system calls, database
queries etc does *NOT* count.

So it's quite possible that:

You are not executing phpinfo() under the same environment as your real
script.

Your code does a ton of db queries or system calls or waiting for streams,
and PHP only "counts" 30 seconds of the 6 to 10 minutes being spent.

The amount of time PHP spends waiting for system calls, streams, and db
queries is highly variable, and accounts for the 6 to 10 minutes range --
as well as the fact that PHP dies out at seemingly random different places
in your source.

> PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in
> .....php
> on line 130
>
> Has somebody seen something like this or has an idea what's going on
> there?

At the *TOP* of your real script, use http://php.net/error_log to log
ini_get('max_execution_time') and see what you've got.

Or try to run your phpinfo() test in exactly the same manner as your cron
job.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm