Re: Hashing strings

Gerard Samuel wrote:
> Im currently using md5() to hash strings to be used,
> as an id for a cache system.
> Im trying to determine if md5() would be the fastest,
> *cheapest* solution.
> The only native php functions that I know of are md5() and sha1().
> Are there any other native php functions that hash
> strings?

You may (or may not) want to look at http://php.net/uniqid

I don't think you actually pass in a string to hash so much as just get a
unique number back.

For *SOME* applications this may or may not be suitable, and it could be
faster than those complex hashing algorithms.  Or not, especially if you
include the optional entropy argument...

You'd have to benchmark and see to be sure, of course.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm