Re: paring large files - PHP or Perl

John Cage wrote:
> ok, well its actually the attachment we're after. basically we have a
> client that sends an  automated update email via some software and we're
> piggy-backing on it to grab the data out. The email contains a password
> protected zip file. We're pulling the email down (from another server)
> extracting the attachment out and then parsing in the xml file contained
> within the zip and moving the images (also within the zip) to a
> different location.

So, where does the web browser come into this?...

Seems to me you could write an automated script to handle the incoming
email, using smrsh (man smrsh) or run a cron job to check the IMAP of the
recipient of the email or almost anything that doesn't involve a browser
and all the time/ram limitations of your usual php.ini file.

Set up a custom php.ini file for this task, and a cron job or smrsh
script, and you're pretty much all set with PHP to handle as much time/ram
as it needs to do the job.

You'll still want to write the PHP script to be efficient, but unless
you're doing some REALLY hairy Regular Expressions with backward-looking
hoop-jumping mumbo jumbo in the regex that only 5 guys on the planet
really understand in the first place, the Perl stuff won't be faster than
PHP, most likely.

Sounds to me like you're just doing a password prompt, an unzip, and
shlepping from files from the unzipped directory to somewhere else.
DEFINITELY PHP will perform neck-and-neck with Perl on that one.

Perl is gonna "win" performance when you have to do a bunch of complicated
Regex, but that's about it, I think.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm