Re: php products licensing system

Jad Madi wrote:
as I said, we are willing to have our product open source, but No
free. and that fair enough, thats why I'm asking about a good method
to protect our products from being used illegaly and keeping it open
source

It's a tough balancing act. Encoding / closing the source with one of the packages out there is an option. The license that you use is important and always be certain that LICENSE is included in every code distribution.

Without knowing a little more about the exact product you sell it's
tough to give good advice, but some things that I have seen:
- Open up part of the source, but keep the valuable code closed
- Different licenses for different parts of the code
- Open source it all and charge for 24/7 support services
- Open source it all and charge for consulting / specialty services
- Open source it all, but only for a client application.  Then you have
the client connect to a server side app on your site and you charge per
usage.

My advice: look at some of the *successful* and more importantly
*profitable* open source companies out there.

--
Teach a man to fish...

NEW? | http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
STFA | http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-general&w=2