avoiding user using back button-need to re-route

Hi all.

I have a site, the user goes through a few pages inputting info and also
making various selections. On the last page they are shown a success
page. however if they go back by clicking the back button. they can re
process the last step which is undersireable. I can't really use
javascript  to detect the back button because Im using smarty and php
and it cant detect the back button press.

is there a way to "route" from my second last step to my last one with a
php page between them that will intercept any back press and also will
"redirect" when the process goes from the second last step to the last
step. If the user clicks back from the last page it must then determine
that he is going back and redirect to an error page or a login page.

any suggestions? Ive been stuck on this for a while and think that maybe
I could use a sesssion variable and once I get to the last page it
expires and if the user clicks back then that "routing page" will see
that the session isnt registered anymore and redirect to an error page.

thanks for any suggestions or help. in advance.

Angelo

Angelo Zanetti
Z Logic
[c] +27 72 441 3355
[t] +27 21 464 1363
[f] +27 21 464 1371
www.zlogic.co.za
Disclaimer
This e-mail transmission contains confidential information,
which is the property of the sender.
The information in this e-mail or attachments thereto is
intended for the attention and use only of the addressee.
Should you have received this e-mail in error, please delete
and destroy it and any attachments thereto immediately.
Under no circumstances will the Cape Peninsula University of
Technology or the sender of this e-mail be liable to any party for
any direct, indirect, special or other consequential damages for any
use of this e-mail.
For the detailed e-mail disclaimer please refer to
http://www.ctech.ac.za/polic or call +27 (0)21 460 3911