Re: Prevent browser back...

You can try an open/close window function, or my personal favorite is just a couple of pages that use the meta-refresh to jump people to a new page and dump them through a couple which they would never see, normally 2 is enough to stop someone from doing it (as well as a logout and making them login again).

HTH,
Robert

Ashley M. Kirchner is quoted as saying on 2/9/2005 1:05 PM:

This is probably something that comes up every so often and it's generally related to PHP scripts, however I have a different setup and am now trying to figure out what to do. On our company site, we have a section that clients use to upload files to us through a Java applet. The way I have it setup is basically through 3 separate pages: login.php, upload.php, and thankyou.php. And people go through those pages in sequence. After uploading a file (through upload.php where the applet resides) they get redirected to thankyou.php. However, by hitting the back button, they can easily go back to the upload one, but I need to prevent that from happening.

I know I can't disable the back button, or clean out someone's browser history, so I'm looking for other ways, server-side perhaps, that I can implement to prevent someone from reloading the upload.php page and try to upload another file (which will generate an error because the Java applet still has the old data in its variables. This is just the way it works.)

Can I rely on referrers on upload.php to see where a hit came from? Or should I redirect to an interim page that simply redirects again to the thankyou.php one (which won't stop someone from hitting back twice, but it's just an extra thing.) What (other) ways have people found that works?

   -- A

-- Robert Sossomon, Business and Technology Application Technician 4-H Youth Development Department 200 Ricks Hall, Campus Box 7606 N.C. State University Raleigh NC 27695-7606 Phone: 919/515-8474 Fax: 919/515-7812 robert_sossomon@xxxxxxxx