RE: Prevent browser back...

[snip]
    I know I can't disable the back button, or clean out someone's
browser history, so I'm looking for other ways, server-side perhaps,
that I can implement to prevent someone from reloading the upload.php
page and try to upload another file (which will generate an error
because the Java applet still has the old data in its variables.  This
is just the way it works.)
[/snip]

I know of no server-side mechanism for diabling the back button. Maybe
you could use a cookie?