Re: phpBB alternatives?

Yes, please read that page again. It had nothing to do with the phpBB software itself, but with the AWstats that run on their server. The vulnerabilities that phpBB a few months back had were quickly patched. The phpBB community is huge and offer fantastic support.

Other alternatives include vBulletin or YaBB.

Too bad the same reaction that hosting providers are have toward phpBB don't take place in the real world when a Microsoft product vulnerability is exploited. From the recent update at phpbb.com:

"...
It is actually quite fustrating at present that some hosting providers are asking or forcing their customers to remove installs of phpBB 2.0.11 due to the loss of phpbb.com. As I say above, our best available information right now is that phpBB was not to blame. ...

Equally it's annoying to see some people posting the same old highlighting exploit claiming their 2.0.11 board was hacked via it. Again unless my team and indeed our other teams, heck large sections of our community, are all lying to me that vulnerability was fixed in 2.0.11. Sites running .11 and claiming (or thier hosts claiming) to have been attacked using it should take a close look at other applications they have installed. phpBB is not alone in being exploited, all the major boards can be if you don't update as new releases are made. Equally users should ensure the relevant highlighting fix is indeed present. Over the years we've dealt with thousands of users who say they've patched something (be it an exploit or bug) but upon examination we've discovered the problem code is still there. Equally hosts should look at their own systems. Are you running awstats if so have you updated? Do you regularly update your OS and particularly the kernel (if appropriate) as fixes are released? Are your users running old versions of other PHP/Perl/etc. software? Have you set appropriate permissions on key folders such as /tmp and /var/tmp? Is your webserver running with as few permissions as possible? Just because we overlooked something doesn't mean you should!
..."