Re: Favorite Linux Distribution

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 16:25:28 -0700, The Disguised Jedi
<disguised.jedi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello all -
>
> I've been a list member for a while, helped out some people, and asked
> some questions.  But, today I have a completely off topic, but
> somewhat relevant question for y'all.
>
> What is your favorite Linux distribution?  What would you recommend
> for my situation?

*BSD is not Linux but for a server it's grand.  You might consider it
an option as well.

These are some distros I've used heavily over the years:

Easy -> hard to install:
Mandrake
Suse
RedHat
Debian
FreeBSD
Gentoo
LinuxFromSratch

Most stable -> least stable:
FreeBSD
Debian
Suse
RedHat
Gentoo
LinuxFromSratch
Mandrake

Best performance:
FreeBSD
Gentoo
LinuxFromScratch

Best hardware support:
Suse
Redhat

I read somewhere where there are like 1100 Linux distros out there
now, so you might want to try a few.  And there are several BSD
distros as well depending if you want security, hardware support, or a
little of both.  Most anything released in the last year has included
or will support Apache2 and PHP5.  If not it probably will soon.

I run Gentoo and FreeBSD at home and Suse at work.

--
Greg Donald
Zend Certified Engineer