RE: Credit card storing, for processing

Wow....I was hoping someone would respond with a little balance to that
reactionary doomsday speech.  Don't get me wrong...those are some very valid
points that need to be considered, but my gosh...

The key-pair idea is very good.  I've done systems in the past for clients
that work in a similar fashion.

There are multiple layers of security with two main aspects:
1. The technical implemenation and complexity of the system
2. The responsibility/priveledges granted to users/admins

You can come up with the most complex, technical "secret key" solution
around (aspect #1)....but if you entrust that secret key to the wrong person
(aspect #2), it's all for nothing.

In the end...it's about common sense.  It's FAR less dangerous to implement
what you are suggesting than it is to simply pay for your dinner with a
credit card.

One thing I agree with Richard wholeheartedly on is his "Hi, I'm about to
perform brain surgery.  Which scalpel should I use?" anology.  If the
technicaly aspects of implementing a system like this escape you...then
please learn how to do it in theory first.  Don't "learn on the job" with
something as precious as your credit rating.

Hope this helps

Brandon