Re: best way to handle user authentication, PHP vs. apache

Raymond Still wrote:
> Hello;
> I'm trying to figure out the best (most secure and most
> user friendly, security of primary importance) way to
> let a user log-in.
> I am setting up a web application (database
> application) that will be for private use only and I
> want to keep it secure.
> As I understand it, using the Apache htaccess method is
> secure as there is essentially no communication without
> a username and password, but it does lack a little in
> flexibility and presentation.
> On the other hand, PHP certainly has the edge on
> flexibility and presentation, but I have questions
> regarding it's security. If you look at the threads
> regarding connecting to databases, you often see a
> warning to the effect of: store your connection
> password etc, outside of the document path in case PHP
> fails and your file is displayed unprocessed.
> So my question is, how can you count on PHP to log
> somebody in, and prevent access to files when PHP may
> fail, or the user could just go into the directory
> structure and bypass security.

You've smushed about 5 different security issues into one giant ball of
snarled yarn.

Your question is roughly allegorical to:
How can you call a deadbolt secure when the home-owner could just leave
their ADT off and the back window unlocked?

Now, for starters:
HTTP Authentication is not particularly secure over a non-SSL connection
as the password is transmitted in plain-text.

In fact, for *ANYTHING* where security matters for logging in and out, use
SSL.

After that, there's no real "win" to HTTP authentication except for that
cool/annoying popup window.

You've got a long way to go before you properly understand all the
security issues you've jumbled together -- Took me forever, too. :-)

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm