Re: PHP5 stable enough for webapps ?

daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I am in the midst of getting work to implement PHP5 onto a new server for a
web based app I am doing using PEAR's DB_DataObject plus some other fancy
OO. To give them the piece of mind I would like to know if its stable enough
to run for an intranet based app running on Federo Linux. The extensions I
am trying to get are DOM XML, XSL , GD, getext + a heap of PEAR packages. I
have been developing under PHP5 on Mac OSX so no know issues as yet, but I
was the one that did the compiling. Its always a querky finnaky thing when
someone else does it for you :|

Let me know.

well if you have been working fine on MacOSX then I reckon thats a good indication! ...and if you want to run redhat thats your problem ;-)

Yes PHP5 is stable enough to use IMHO, just don't rely on updates to std packages always
working (like the redhat packages - which _ahem_ suck).

(I have been writing a PHP5 framework since around 11-2003 and I haven't been able to
get it to segfault since around May last year.)

...so it runs on Apache2 quite nicely - there is the fact that you must use the prefork apache2
worker module, other than that there are no overwhelming problems (I assume that there
are bugs that could crop up - but this is just going on the assumption that bugless software
is only made on other planets :-) - at any rate I have pushed PHP5 quite far on Apache2
and nothing is breaking - e.g. many cyclic-object-references, which was something that sometimes
caused segfaults in the 'early' days)

good luck with the setup,
Jochem

Dan (also wondering when php will be apache2 ready, Rusmas care to answer

bad form Dan!!! you spelt his name wrong. tut tut ;-)

without having to repeat yourself though ?? :))