Re: mysql_pconnect / persistent database conections

At 10:43 AM 1/27/2005, Richard Lynch wrote:
Ben Edwards wrote:
> Been meaning to investigate persistent database connections for a
> while.  Coming from a rdbms background (oracle with a bit of whatcom
> sqlanywhare) I have always felt that the overhead of opening a
> connection at the beginning of each page was a little resource
> intensive.

The mysql_pconnect() function should work well to solve the wasted resource/overhead you describe.

But you should be aware that the pconnect function does not exist
in the mysqli set of PHP functions. The mysqli functions allow you to
access newer features of MySQL 4.1 and higher...like prepared statements.

Here is the blurb from Zend:

http://www.zend.com/php5/articles/php5-mysqli.php#fn1

Steve

Steve Slater
slater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Information Security Training and Consulting

PHP / MySQL / Web App Security (LAMP) Training:
http://www.handsonsecurity.com/training.html