Re: Understanding intval() and types conversion

Jochem Maas wrote:
> Bruce Douglas wrote:
>> so...
>>
>> you're saying that 7.99999 (repeating) is equal to 8.0....
>>
>> i say prove it..  as i recall the numbers might be for all practical
>> purposes the same, they are in fact vastly different...
>>
>> so, prove your assertion...
>
> he did.
>
> you have to consider the two the same, given that there is always a limit
> to the
> level of precision - the alternative would be to say no 2 numbers are ever
> equal and
> that make for boring mathematics.

No, no, no.

I'm going MUCH farther than that.

I've claimed (and proved) that:

7.999... (repeating decimal)

IS EXACTLY EQUAL TO

8.000... (repeating decimal)

with absolutely no computer, rounding, fudging, or nothing about being
"close" involved.

They are EQUAL.

If you don't believe me, you merely need to convert a bunch of repeating
decimals to fractions the same as any grade-school kid would do, and then
you'll see.

Honest!

I'm not making this [bleep] up. :-)

PS  BS in Honors Mathematics from Notre Dame is my qualification...
Though any 5th-grade teacher can prove it just as fast as I can.  Faster,
actually, as they go through it every year, and have the same disbelief
from their students as I'm seeing here.  Go find a 5th-grade teacher and

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm