Re: Replace credit card numbers with X ???

Jay Blanchard wrote:
[snip]
I need to replace all the numbers of a credit card except for the last
4 with an 'X' ... can't seem to locate the string function for this...
can someone point me in the right direction here to what php item i
should be using.
[/snip]

ROFLMMFAO! It's all been discussed before Joe!

http://www.php.net/ereg_replace

<not-too-serious> wtf :-), I can't find any particular mention of his problem on that page (and I know how to use the CTRL+f keycombo in firefox, thanks for asking :-).

regardless of whether ereg_replace() would satisfy his needs pointing him at
that page without explaination is a bit stupid - the guy obviously doesn't
have even half a clue with regards to string manipulation - therefore I think
its safe to assume that regexps are a bit out of his league.

but then again if he is working with (_other_peoples_) creditcard numbers
he should probably:

a, know this shit.
or
b, be capable of finding the answer in the manual.

n'est pas?
anyway I had fun remembering exactly what ROFLMMFAO meant :-), and the tinge
of RTFM at Joe was probably justified - and even if it wasn't I condone it :-)

is it fair game to throw someone an RTFM after you have helped them?
</not-too-serious>