Re: Geographical tendancies with RemoteHost

John Taylor-Johnston wrote:
With my counter, I track RemoteHost and IPAddress and save it in a mysql table. One of my colleagues asked me these questions (below).
I can track number of hits per month. Is there any OS code anywhere that I might implement to see geographical tendencies?

John

Is it possible to track this as a statistical graph that gives us average
hits per month over a longer period? This would be useful for further grant
applications. Also of course if we could track hits per rough geographical
regions (i.e. Quebec, Canada, North America, Latin America, Europe, Other).
Is this doable without too much effort?

php.net (can) redirect requests to the 'nearest' mirror based on your IP. to find out how they do this you might start by reading this source file:

http://www.php.net/source.php?url=/include/ip-to-country.inc

hint: they use data from http://www.ip-to-country.com/

hope that give you an idea, good luck