Re: Upgrading PHP 4.2.2 on Red Hat 9

Richard Lynch wrote:
James Butler wrote:

My main issue is that libdb-4.0.so is needed by existing installations
of curl, python, pam, cyrus, webalizer, db4, perl, postfix, sendmail,
perl-DB_File and on and on. And that's not even close to the end of the
old program dependencies list.

Upgrading via rpm is going to be a humongous pain if I have to upgrade
every program listed in the dependencies (rpm -Uvh --test), even if I
can figure out which order they need to be done in.

One of the things I liked about RH9 was they FINALLY got up2date to
actually work.

Or, at least, that was the first time *I* was able to just use it and it
worked.  RH8 was only so-so, for awhile, before up2date got too confused
to be any use.

I dunno if that will get you the versions you want, or if it's any more or
less secure than what you've got, but at least it makes the nightmare of
RPM dependencies go away.

My RH9 box is behind a firewall, locked in a cabinet, and has no untrusted
users, so is less at-risk than most...

I have one word to say in regard to redhat: DEBIAN.