Upgrading PHP 4.2.2 on Red Hat 9

Greetings,

Has anyone successfully upgraded a PHP 4.2.2 installation on a
Red Hat 9 machine to a more secure version?

I just want any more-secure version of PHP than 4.2.2, but it's looking
like I'll have to use Fedora or Gentoo or Mandrake or something in order

to be successful. Of course, this means arranging for a different
host/dedicated server ...

My main issue is that libdb-4.0.so is needed by existing installations
of curl, python, pam, cyrus, webalizer, db4, perl, postfix, sendmail,
perl-DB_File and on and on. And that's not even close to the end of the
old program dependencies list.

Upgrading via rpm is going to be a humongous pain if I have to upgrade
every program listed in the dependencies (rpm -Uvh --test), even if I
can figure out which order they need to be done in.

Building from source kills my httpd process so that it cannot be
restarted. Last two times I tried that I had to restore from my Apache
backup files, clean out the more recent PHP install and reinstall
v.4.2.2 in order to get everything up and running again. And that was an

attempt to get up to 4.3.10! Forget about v.5.0.3!

PHP.net says to "be sure to upgrade" ... but there's no indication of
what that means, or how to do it, or in what order all of the dependent
programs should be upgraded (if neccessary). I can find no step-by-step
upgrading instructions in any PHP or Linux newsgroup, forum, or doc.
There's no 4.2.2 to 4.3.x patch. I understand that there are manymany
upgrade details that are machine-and-OS-dependent, but I could use ANY
kind of help with this at all besides "be sure to upgrade".

So I come here. (php.install hasn't had an entry for a long time, and
php.migration ended in 2001)

I'll post data, config settings, whatever you think might be helpful.
I'm hoping for someone to say "First, do this ...; then, do this ...",
if at all possible. I'll even take "Here's how I did it ..."

Thanks in advance for ANY help at all.

James