Re: Phonetic speller function

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:43:48 +0200, Dotan Cohen
<dotan_0105@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I looked at the 'sound like' modules in php (leveshtien, soundex) but they are
> for comparing 2 strings, not creating a string based on what we already have.

You're looking at it from the wrong end.

With soundex you create soundex values for _all_ your known words, and
you stick them in a db.. then you find the soundex value for the word
in question and you do a lookup in your db to find other words with
the closest values.  You're right that you don't create any new
strings based on the word.  Instead you would provide a listing of
similar words from the db lookup.  It's all up to you what words go
into the db to pick from.

I read somewhere most English speaking folks only use about 80K words or so.

--
Greg Donald
Zend Certified Engineer